Smart Structures is all about Structural and Earthquake Engineering. Our research focuses on improving the structural performance of buildings under earthquake excitation. We accomplish this through advanced analytical computer simulation and experimental testing techniques using the state-of-the-art facilities available at the University of British Columbia. We have developed advanced experimental testing technologies, such as hybrid simulation and nonlinear control algorithms for shake tables, to evaluate structural response under extreme loading conditions.
Our interests include:
- Seismic behavior and design of steel, concrete and composite structures
- Seismic behavior and design of tall buildings
- Performance-based evaluation methodology
- Performance-based design procedures
- Innovative structural components and systems
- Novel experimental testing methods