Dr. Dorian Tung obtained his Ph.D. (2017) in Structural and Earthquake Engineering from the University of British Columbia, Canada. He received his Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (2000) and Master of Science in Engineering (2002) from Queen’s University, Canada. Dr. Tung has been practicing structural engineering since 2002. He has designed a variety of building types and structural systems. He is a licensed professional engineer in the States of Florida and Texas, USA, as well as a licensed LEED AP BD+C by the US Green Building Council.
The recent earthquakes worldwide have raised the public awareness of resilience. Structures not only have to withstand the sudden ground excitation without collapse, but also need the resilience to recover quickly from damages. This motivates Dr. Tung’s research when he returned to school in 2011. He has been working towards establishing a framework for researchers to develop earthquake resilient structures, for engineers to implement such structures, and for the general public to understand the true performance of the built environment.
earthquake engineering, resilient fused structures, energy dissipation devices, hybrid simulation development & application, shake table control & testing, energy-based & performance-based design, advanced structural steel analysis & design, earthquake resilience rating system
1. Li T, Yang TY, Tong G, Tung DP, and Li Y. (2018) Performance-based Seismic Design and Evaluation of Fused Steel Diagrid Frame. Earthquake Spectra, DOI: 121017EQS257M.
2. Yang TY, Tung DP, and Li Y. (2017) Equivalent Energy Design Procedure for Earthquake Resilient Fused Structures. Earthquake Spectra, DOI: 10.1193/122716EQS254M.
3. Yang TY, Tung DP, Li Y, Lin JY, Li K, and Guo W. (2017) Theory and Implementation of Switch-based Hybrid Simulation Technology for Earthquake Engineering Applications. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, DOI:10.1002/eqe.2920.
4. Yang TY, Li K, Lin JY, Li Y, and Tung DP. (2015) Development of High-performance Shake Tables Using the Hierarchical Control Strategy and Nonlinear Control Techniques. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 44: 1717-1728.
5. Yang TY, Tung DP, and Li Y. (2015) Performance-based Plastic Design and Evaluation of Linked Column Frames. Progress in Steel Building Structures, 17(1): 27-35.
6. Yang TY, Tung DP, and Xu C. (2014) Experimental and Analytical Evaluation of Concrete-filled Crisscross Steel Tubular Columns Subjected to Earthquake Loads. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 28(6): A4014001.
7. El-Hacha R, Bisby L, Williams B, Tung D, and Ford J. (2007) First ISIS Canada Pedestrian Bridge: Student Design Perspective. NRC Research Press, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 34: 463-471.
1. Yang TY, Tung DP, and Li Y. Design and Validation of Fused Truss Moment Frames. 2nd Huixian International Forum on Earthquake Engineering for Young Researchers, August 19-21, 2016, Beijing, China.
2. Yang TY, Xie X, Lin JY, Li Y, Tung DP. Theory and Application of Innovative Hierarchical Control Framework. Proceedings of the 5th SECE, July 28-30, 2016, Xian, China.
3. Yang TY, Tung DP, and Li Y. Seismic Design of Novel Steel Resilient Structures. 8th International Conference on Behaviour of Steel Structures in Seismic Areas, July 1-3, 2015, Shanghai, China.
4. Yang TY, Tung DP, and Li Y. Performance-based Plastic Design and Evaluation of Linked Column Frames. 14th Conference on Seismic Resisting Design for Tall Buildings, October 31-November 3, 2013, Guanxi, China.
5. Yang TY and Tung DP. Performance-based Plastic Design of Linked Column Frame. 4th Asia-Pacific Young Researchers and Graduates Symposium, December 4-5, 2012, Hong Kong, China.
6. Yang TY, Tung DP, and Xu C. Numerical Models of Composite Crisscross Concrete-Filled Steel Tubular Columns Subjected to Earthquake Loading. 12th International Symposium on Structural Engineering, November 17-19, 2012, Wuhan, China.
7. Yang TY and Tung DP. Performance Evaluation of Linked-Column Frames. 1st International Conference on Performance-Based and Life-Cycle Structural Engineering, December 5-7, 2012, Hong Kong, China.
8. Tung DP and Campbell TI. Ductility of Pretensioned Concrete Beams with Hybrid FRP/Stainless Steel Reinforcements. 4th Structural Specialty Conference, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, 2002, Montreal, Canada.
9. Tung DP and Campbell TI. Analysis of Partially Bonded Concrete Beams Prestressed with FRP Tendons. Canadian Society for Civil Engineering 28th Annual Conference, 2000, London, Canada.
10. Campbell TI, Rizkalla NS, and Tung DP. Pretensioned Concrete Beams with Hybrid FRP/Stainless Steel Reinforcements. 3rd Structural Specialty Conference, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, 2000, London, Canada.
11. Campbell TI, Rizkalla NS, and Tung DP. Hybrid FRP/Stainless Steel Reinforcements for Pretensioned Concrete Beams. 3rd International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures, 2000, Ottawa, Canada.
1. Tongji University Postdoc Researcher Fellowship
2. NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships D & A
3. UBC Four Year Fellowships
4. UBC Faculty of Applied Science Graduate Award
5. UBC Public Scholar Initiative
6. UBC Centennial Initiatives Fund
7. Mitacs Globalink Research Award
8. EERI Travel Grant
9. J. Fred Muir Memorial Scholarship
10. Queen’s Graduate Award
11. Ontario Graduate Award