Email: azimi at mail dot ubc dot ca
Mohsen was born in Ardabil, Iran. He received his BSc in Civil Engineering from the University of Mohaghegh Ardabili, Ardabil, Iran in 2009, and his first MSc in Earthquake Engineering from Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran, in 2011. He received his second MSc in Structural Engineering from North Dakota State University, ND, USA, in 2017. Prior to joining Smart Structures at UBC, he was a research assistant and research associate at the University of Nevada, Reno, NV, USA.
· Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Reinforcement Learning
· Structural Health Monitoring
· Finite Element-based Simulations
· Retrofitting and Rehabilitation
· Vibration Control
· Optimization in Structural Engineering
· Bridge Engineering and Inspection
· Civil Engineering Excellence Award, University of British Columbia, 2020
· International Tuition Award, University of British Columbia, 2020
· Civil Engineering Excellence Award, University of British Columbia, 2019
· International Tuition Award, University of British Columbia, 2019
· ASCE’s Outstanding Reviewer (Journal of Bridge Engineering) in 2018
· M. Azimi, A. Rasoulnia, “Structural Dynamics and Vibration Control Using MATLAB”, Noavar Publications, Tehran, Iran, 2019.
· M. Azimi, A. Rasoulnia, “Modeling, Analysis, and Design of Bridges Using CSiBridge”, Dibagaran Tehran Publication, Tehran, Iran, 2014.
· M. Azimi, “Design of Structural Vibration Control Using Smart Materials and Devices for Earthquake-Resistant and Resilient Buildings”, North Dakota State University, 2017.
· M. Azimi, “Stiffeners Effect on Seismic Performance of I-Beam to Double-I Built-up Column Connection”, Iran University of Science and Technology, 2011.
· M. Azimi, A. Dadras, G. Pekcan, “Data-Driven Structural Health Monitoring and Damage Detection through Deep Learning: State-of-the-Art Review”, Sensors, Volume 20, 2778, May 2020, Download.
· M. Azimi, A. M. Yeznabad, “Swarm-based Parallel Control of Adjacent Buildings Considering Irregularity and Soil-structure Interaction Effects”, Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks, Volume 9 Issue 2, March 2020, Download.
· M. Azimi, G. Pekcan, “Structural Health Monitoring using Extremely-compressed Data through Deep Transfer Learning”, Computer-aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 2019; 1– 18, Download.
· H. Pan, M. Azimi, F. Yan, and Z. Lin, “Time-Frequency Based Data-Driven Structural Diagnosis and Damage Detection for Cable-Stayed Bridges”, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Volume 23 Issue 6, June 2018, Download.
· M. Azimi, A. Rasoulnia, Z. Lin, and H. Pan, “Improved Semi-Active Control Algorithm for Hydraulic Damper Based Braced Buildings”, Journal of Structural Control and Health Monitoring, Volume 24, Issue 11 November 2017, Download.
· Z. Lin, F. Azarmi, Q. A. Al-Kaseasbeh, M. Azimi, and F. Yan, “Advanced Ultrasonic Testing Technologies with Applications to Evaluation of Steel Bridge Welding – An Overview”, Journal of Applied Mechanics and Materials, Volume 727-728, Pages 785-789, 2015, Download.
· A. Kaveh, T. Bakhshpoori, and M. Azimi, “Seismic Optimal Design of 3D Steel Frames Using Cuckoo Search Algorithm” The Structural Design of Tall & Special Buildings, Volume 24, Issue 3, Pages 210–227, 2015, Download.
· G. Ghodrati Amiri, M. Azimi, and E. Darvishan, “Retrofitting I-Beam to Double-I Built-up Column Connections Using Through Plates and T-Stiffeners”, Journal of Scientia Iranica, Transactions A: Civil Eng., Volume 20, Issue 6, 2013. Download
· M. Azimi, H. Pan, M. Abdeddaim, Z. Lin, “Optimal Design of Active Tuned Mass Dampers for Mitigating Translational–Torsional Motion of Irregular Buildings”, In: Conte J., Astroza R., Benzoni G., Feltrin G., Loh K., Moaveni B. (eds) Experimental Vibration Analysis for Civil Structures. EVACES 2017. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, vol 5. Springer, Cham, 2018, Download.
· H. Pan, M. Azimi, G. Gui, Z. Lin, “Vibration-Based Support Vector Machine for Structural Health Monitoring”, In: Conte J., Astroza R., Benzoni G., Feltrin G., Loh K., Moaveni B. (eds) Experimental Vibration Analysis for Civil Structures. EVACES 2017. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, vol 5. Springer, Cham, 2018, Download.
· Z. Lin, F. Yan, M. Azimi, F. Azarmi, and Q. A. Al-Kaseasbeh, “A Revisit of Fatigue Performance Based Welding Quality Criteria in Bridge Welding Provisions and Guidelines”, International Industrial Informatics and Computer Engineering Conference (IIICEC), Shaanxi, China. 2015. Download
· G. Ghodrati Amiri, and M. Azimi, “Numerical Investigation on Retrofitted I-Beam to Double-I Built-up Column Connections Using Internal Diaphragms and External T-Stiffeners”, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Seismic Retrofitting, Tabriz, Iran, 2-4 May, 2012.